Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 2: My Balls & My Word is All's I Have

So I watched Scarface again the other night. You know, the movie where Al Pacino plays Cuban immigrant Tony "Say hello to my little friend" Montana who after moving to Miami, Florida in the late 1970's builds a massive drug empire within the space of only a few years. It's a movie that I've watched countless times and one that reveals something new to me every single time.

Now, it was never lost on me just how "horrible" a person Tony was. The filmmakers did their best to make sure of that. Within minutes of meeting him we watch as Tony guts a man in exchange for some green cards for him and his two friends. Over the course of the movie we watch as Tony kills, snorts and negotiates his way all the way to the top. He does all of this without batting an eyelash. Yes, Tony is not a good person, we get it.

Or is he?

Because for all the horrible things that he does, all the blood that he spills Tony still takes care of his family, is a loyal soldier and a loyal friend, marries the woman that enamors him and by all appearances is faithful to her, says what he means and does what he says he will, never "F%^ks anyone over who didn't have it coming to them" and simply does not entertain the idea of the death of women or children. He has a code that he lives by and follows it to the letter.

There's a scene, probably my favorite, in the movie that encapsulates this perfectly. Tony is having dinner at a swanky restaurant with his wife when they get into an argument and cause a scene. It ends with him getting up to leave. As he is staggering towards the exit he slurs the following,

'What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of f%^in' @$$holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your f%^in' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy!'

and then he stumbles out. And it is in this that I find I admire Mr. Montana. Especially in a world where peoples word and values are so pliable. When most peoples' answer to whether they do this or do that is "Um, I don't know. I guess it depends on the situation." Something that I find I myself am commonly guilty of. Something that I can honestly say am not proud of. Something that I want to change.

Tony, in all his coke snorting and bullet spraying glory has me wanting to be a better person. To follow his example. To say what I mean, to do as I say. To always tell the truth. Kind of a little shocking.

There is another point in the film where Tony tells a prospective business partner matter of factly and with undeniable charm that,

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."

After spending two and a half hours with the man, I find I want to be able to say the same.

2 comments:

  1. Strange...a couple of friends and I were talking about this last night; about the integrity of our word. You know, to say what you mean and mean what you say so that the things under your authority don't hesitate to obey simply because they can bet on the fact that you are going to change your position if they just give you a few...that said, now I want to watch this movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a serious problem. No wonder people have trust issues. The movie is a superb character study, a gritty rags to riches story and the dangers of decadence. Tony Montana is Jordan Belfort if he had been better drawn.

      Delete