Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 10: On Giving My Maisha Idea Legs

So my best ideas usually come to me in one of four places; in the shower, on the toilet, during a church service or on the road. I've never really thought to think about it and so I really have no idea why. I know each place probably has its own catalog of reasons but I'm not sure I want to attempt to make sense of any of them right now.

What I do know though is that my latest 'good idea' (I won't really know whether it's really good or not until it comes to fruition- if it ever does) came to me on the bus ride up to Gulu last Sunday. For the last couple of weeks I've been reading Jose Saramago's The Double; an equally intriguing, frustratingly mundane, unputdownable and grade-A snooze fest of a novel. Whatever the case, however, I've promised myself that I will get through it and was reading it during that bus riding while my latest crush Kelela (good bye  Lupita- it was fun while it lasted) tickled my heart and sang sweet nothings to me through my headphones. It was then that the idea (blind and limbless) wiggled its way up and down the various passage ways of my brain looking for somewhere to lodge itself and make its presence known. And after a little searching, lodge itself it did. Presence seen and felt. Mission accomplished.

As such ideas usually do, it came to me hapless and rather hopeless looking for a little help. "Give me some legs." it told me, "I would really like to Kiprotich this bitch."

I said that, that could probably be arranged.

"And some arms too." it added a minute later, a tad too smugly for my liking, "I've got a five star, five course meal to make. And make it snappy."

It obviously thought it had me.

I begrudgingly obliged.

"And don't forget the eyes!"

It did.

The 2014 Maisha Film lab is coming up in a few months, you see, and I'm planning on submitting something. It is for this that the idea had swam the canals of my brain.

was racking my brain for over a week trying to figure out what I was going to write when after the rest stop just outside of Kigumba the idea stuck it's head up and said, "Hey. You. If you want me, I'm right over here."

I could tell instantly that it was trying to play it off as if it didn't want me as much as I wanted it. Complete hogwash of course. I still decided to play it the same way though.

With a nonchalance that I'm pretty sure it knew was put on as its own I told the idea that as much as I saw some potential I wouldn't get my hopes too high. On the inside though, I was ecstatic.

It hasn't been all sunshine and swimming pools though, I've been lugging this armless, legless pile of slime around for the past few days trying to figure just what I'm going to do with it.

This morning though, I think I had a breakthrough. Not a big one but one enough to start drawing some blueprints for the limbs that its asking for. And yes, the eyes too.

I guess some thanks goes to Jose Saramago (the book isn't a total wash) as well as to Haruki Murakami whose story A Poor-Aunt Story I posted yesterday. Hopefully something will come of it. If not then oh well, they'll always be other ideas.


1 comment:

  1. Yey! for the breakthrough...and I love the audacity of your idea

    ReplyDelete