Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 4: On Limbic Takeovers & Baritone Flavored Inspiration


It's not very often that you come across something so transcendent, so spectacular that it reduces you to rubble. Something so next level yet so primordial that it shakes your very soul. Well, that's exactly what happened yesterday. His name is Kwabs and he is a singer. Rich baritone over percolating synths. Dour lyrics sprinkled with hope. Drinking to forget,  dancing with a stranger, bathroom stall fucking, the cab ride home...alone. Are just a few of the images that the music conjures up.

Kwabs first came to my attention about a week ago when I came across his latest single "Pray for Love". Floored. Hungry for more I scoured the internet for his music almost immediately; an album, an EP, a mixtape- anything. No dice. I gave up. And then yesterday I decided to try again. For why, I have no idea. This time I succeeded though. His EP 'Wrong or Right' is nestled comfortably between Kings Kaleidoscope and Marsha Ambrosious in my itunes 'Recently Added' playlist and 'Repeat' has been the name of the game ever since.

Am I afraid that all this repeating (I'm listening to him right now) will wear him out for me too soon? Kind of but not really. He's struck a chord, he's entered my blood stream, he's hacked my limbic system. And with that, I'm pretty OK with.

His music is the kind that makes me want to write. And seeing as I'm running pretty low on inspiration these days I'm going to take as much of that as I possibly can for as long as I can. Barring death or a natural disaster like my laptop crashing on me of course. In fact, let me put the man's music on my phone right now...


2 comments:

  1. Love the sound of his voice especially on Last Stand, his voice sounds like it is capable of so much! he sounds almost different yet still the same on each song,would like to hear him without instruments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's like a freak of nature. His voice is something else. Funny enough, Last Stand is actually my favorite song of his on the EP. I'm already at like 25 plays. And now that you mention it, looking for Capella performances...NOW.

      Delete