Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day 13: Please Insert Your Name Here


Truth is, (and you may hate me for it but I'll make it up to you I promise) I really couldn't bring myself to write about anything else. Mom's better now; she's walking around, watching bad Eddy Murphy movies, making tasty omelettes & getting finicky about food containers that she is convinced are missing and so I no longer have an adequate excuse. I miss you. Miles and time have made this aching that I carry around with me every waking moment frighteningly poignant. I don't know what we would have done if we had lived at the beginning of the last century instead of this one. One with no phones or Facebook or instant messaging. I reckon this full head of hair would have become a few lonely wisps of longing looking for something to cling on to by now.

I'm coming back to you soon though, I promise. Maybe not as soon as I thought but we have plenty of days ahead of us to make up for the tortuous ones we've had to endure these past few weeks. And oh, please make sure that when I do you don't make any witty quips about my busting gut or bulging cheeks; going home = good food and it being fed to me virtually all the time and so it's really not my fault. Who am I to say 'no thank you' or 'I'm not hungry'? When Grandma says you eat, you eat. But just so you know, even though you said that I don't really have to, I'm gonna make sure I fit in that suit yo.

Being home has been nice though. A little exhausting, having to make the rounds of grandmas (well, Grandma - singular really), aunties, cousins, family friends, friends I used to party with, friends I used to work with, friends I used to pray with and the such like and so on. It's all been a little tainted though, being home but still being soul crushingly away from home. It's the oddest of feelings. It's the most conflicted of feelings. I cant make heads or tails of it. And it is probably this that is the most exhausting.

I'm coming home soon though, I'm coming home soon.

And oh, just one more thing before I pack it in; please, please, please make sure you have a big, tall glass of juice waiting for me once I arrive, OK? And before you ask, yes, that is a euphemism.

No comments:

Post a Comment